I’ve never been one of those girls who goes all out for Halloween (partly because I think it’s silly to spend a ton of money on an outfit you’ll only wear one night, but hey, that’s just me). I don’t plan my costumes months in advance or hand sew an elaborate ensemble each year that’s bound to get me stopped on the street for pics. In fact, most of the time I’m just scrambling to come up with something last minute that even resembles a costume! Naturally, this year was no different. One night I frantically decided to dress up as a rastafarian thanks to a sweet rasta hat my boyfriend owns. Then, on actual Halloween I transformed myself into a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, complete with nunchucks and a kickass turtle shell backpack, which everyone loved. Last but not least, I was a homeless person. I mean really, you can’t go wrong with a beanie, ripped up/dirty white tee and a cardboard box sign asking for vodka and money, right? Right.
Check out the pics of all my halloween costumes below, plus take a look back at a few of my favorite costumes from the years past. Which one do you like the most?
Cruella, Cruellaaa de Villlll
Just a murderer…
I ain’t saying I’m a Gold Digger
2 of the 3 Jonas Brothers!
Bee Mine Bee <3
Last week I had the opportunity to meet up with celebrity stylist Nicole Chavez for a one-on-one styling sesh based on my style type at my new favorite store, T.J.Maxx! As a fashion writer, I get invited to do a lot of really cool stuff, and I knew this was one opp I clearly couldn’t pass up. I mean how often do you get the chance to be dressed by Rachel Bilson and Kristen Bell’s go-to gal? Um, never!
Before the big day, I took a quick quiz to figure out exactly what my style personality is. Basically, T.J.Maxx teamed up with Nicole, plus Clinical Psychologist Dr. Jennifer Baumgartner, to launch the Six Degrees of Self-Expression personas, which analyze what a woman’s wardrobe says about her based on how she shops, dresses, organizes her closet and expresses herself through fashion. While there were six possible types, naturally (being the laid-back LA girl I am), I got the “Free-Styler”. Other personas included the Systematic Stylist, Trend Trailblazer, Show Stopper, Devoted Dresser and Closet Chameleon.
So who is the Free-Styler? In a nutshell, me! But here’s what the quiz says:
- You’re a natural! While it may appear a tornado hit your closet, it makes sense in your mind and in the end you execute flawlessly with ease. Your intuition has led you through life and through stores.
- You’re accustomed to creating your best looks on the fly.
- You’re energized by the creative process and see dressing on-the-go as a challenge.
- Through the piles, stacks and layers, you always find what you’re looking for.
- Depending on your mood, you may or may not hang up or fold items.
- You’re not restricted to a cookie-cutter shopping experience. You make great fashion choices on-the-fly, however and wherever.
- Everything is fair game when it comes to your fashion choices. You make final decisions after you’ve hit the fitting room…if you even make it there before the purchase.
Now mind you, I haven’t stepped foot into a T.J.Maxx in years so I was a little hesitant at first as to what they would have, but let me tell you, I was absolutely blown away! Nicole and I walked around the store to pick a few things out that fit my fab Free-Styler type. There were so many amazing designer options from this season, particularly in the runway section. I wound up going home with a pair of SICK leather harem pants, a really rad top, some black bootie heels and a dope designer crossbody bag.
When making shopping decisions, Nicole recommended that Free-Stylers stay true to their gut, slow down and not shop when they’re in a huge rush. She also mentioned that Free-Stylers tend to love traditional and sentimental things, which I can definitely attest to considering the fact that I never take off the emerald ring my grandmother gave me or the dainty little love notes necklace that has my boyfriend’s handwriting.
All in all, no matter what persona you are or what trends you’re into, the moral of this story is you can find awesome pieces at an incredible value at T.J.Maxx! I’m all for great deals, so take the quiz HERE, find out what your wardrobe says about you, then own it sister!
1. When some chick has on a chicer outfit than me.
2. When I’m getting harassed by the saleswoman at my favorite store.
3. When I find out about a sick sample sale, but I can’t go because of work.
4. When I try to style a really cutting edge outfit and my bestie’s all like:
5. When I wear my hottest dress to the club and the bouncer still won’t let me in.
6. When I meet my favorite designer and try to play it cool but fail miserably.
7. When I can’t find anything to wear, and my boyfriend asks me if I’m ready for like, the tenth time.
8. When a street style photographer blatantly ignores me.
9. When a cute girl shows up at a party wearing the same outfit as me.
10. The day I realize I can’t fit into my fat jeans anymore.
**UPDATE** This post was featured in Independent Fashion Blogger’s weekly roundup of the best blogs! Couldn’t be more excited. Check out all the other fab posts below
Links à la Mode: October 17
SPONSOR: Eastdane Ebbets, Sperry Boots, DW Watches, Sperry, 1000 Mile, Hulme, Micah Cohen, Theory Sweaters, Apolis Bags, Griffin, & Shopbop
Feeling super stoked and proud to be featured in Independent Fashion Bloggers’ roundup of the best blog posts of the week once again. For those of you who don’t keep up with The Neon Blonde on a regular basis, this is the third time in a row I’ve submitted a link to one of my posts and it’s been chosen! That means I must be doing something right, right? I’d sure like to think so
Peep my tips on how to look your best via video chat below, and be sure to check out all the other fab articles as well. Gah, I can’t believe it’s fall already, can you?
Links a la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup | September 26, 2013
Eastdane Francis Leon
, Filson Bags
, Maison Kitsune
, Micah Cohen
, Lipault Paris
, & Creatures of the Wind
Happy Tuesday everyone! I’m beyond excited to be hosting my first blog giveaway in conjunction with ShopVault.com. As many of you may know already, I’m a sucker for discovering new, underground brands. And what’s so rad about this online fashion boutique is that it’s literally chocked full of them. No joke!
I especially fell in love with modern independent apparel brand Sub_Urban RIOT on Vault and just knew I had to get my hands on their covetable Boyfriend Contrast Pocket Tee in emerald stat. It’s comfy, cute and basic without being boring at all. You can tuck it into a pair of jean shorts for a casual day at the fair like me. Or dress it up with a high-waisted leather skirt or black skinnies and platform pumps for a night out this fall.
Want your own? I’m giving one lucky reader the chance to score my tee in her color of choice. That’s right! See below for the four other available color options and rules on how to enter.
- Like The Neon Blonde on Facebook.
- Follow me on Instagram OR Twitter @theneonblonde
- Subscribe to my blog OR leave a comment on this post with your name and email.
- For extra entries, share a link to this post on your Twitter and/or Facebook page and be sure to tag The Neon Blonde! Each time you share you’ll receive an extra entry.
A random winner will be chosen two weeks from today on Tuesday October 15th. Good luck guys!!!