Last week I had the opportunity to meet up with celebrity stylist Nicole Chavez for a one-on-one styling sesh based on my style type at my new favorite store, T.J.Maxx! As a fashion writer, I get invited to do a lot of really cool stuff, and I knew this was one opp I clearly couldn’t pass up. I mean how often do you get the chance to be dressed by Rachel Bilson and Kristen Bell’s go-to gal? Um, never!
Before the big day, I took a quick quiz to figure out exactly what my style personality is. Basically, T.J.Maxx teamed up with Nicole, plus Clinical Psychologist Dr. Jennifer Baumgartner, to launch the Six Degrees of Self-Expression personas, which analyze what a woman’s wardrobe says about her based on how she shops, dresses, organizes her closet and expresses herself through fashion. While there were six possible types, naturally (being the laid-back LA girl I am), I got the “Free-Styler”. Other personas included the Systematic Stylist, Trend Trailblazer, Show Stopper, Devoted Dresser and Closet Chameleon.
So who is the Free-Styler? In a nutshell, me! But here’s what the quiz says:
- You’re a natural! While it may appear a tornado hit your closet, it makes sense in your mind and in the end you execute flawlessly with ease. Your intuition has led you through life and through stores.
- You’re accustomed to creating your best looks on the fly.
- You’re energized by the creative process and see dressing on-the-go as a challenge.
- Through the piles, stacks and layers, you always find what you’re looking for.
- Depending on your mood, you may or may not hang up or fold items.
- You’re not restricted to a cookie-cutter shopping experience. You make great fashion choices on-the-fly, however and wherever.
- Everything is fair game when it comes to your fashion choices. You make final decisions after you’ve hit the fitting room…if you even make it there before the purchase.
Now mind you, I haven’t stepped foot into a T.J.Maxx in years so I was a little hesitant at first as to what they would have, but let me tell you, I was absolutely blown away! Nicole and I walked around the store to pick a few things out that fit my fab Free-Styler type. There were so many amazing designer options from this season, particularly in the runway section. I wound up going home with a pair of SICK leather harem pants, a really rad top, some black bootie heels and a dope designer crossbody bag.
When making shopping decisions, Nicole recommended that Free-Stylers stay true to their gut, slow down and not shop when they’re in a huge rush. She also mentioned that Free-Stylers tend to love traditional and sentimental things, which I can definitely attest to considering the fact that I never take off the emerald ring my grandmother gave me or the dainty little love notes necklace that has my boyfriend’s handwriting.
All in all, no matter what persona you are or what trends you’re into, the moral of this story is you can find awesome pieces at an incredible value at T.J.Maxx! I’m all for great deals, so take the quiz HERE, find out what your wardrobe says about you, then own it sister!